4.13.2011

Appointment 1 04/12

We had our first official appointment as patients of UAB where I have decided to continue at through this pregnancy. They are suppose to be one of the best in Maternal Fetal Medicine. Because the appointment was in the early afternoon and Adam was working, I went to this appointment by myself. I noticed that whenever we had gone to our ultrasound appointments, the waiting room is filled with pregnant women and their husbands. However on the regular appointment days, the waiting room is only filled with pregnant women! The only exciting moments of a pregnancy appointment is the ultrasound so it makes sense that the husbands want to go to that one!
The appointment began with a urine test and blood pressure. Thankfully my blood pressure was good and 'low'. That was one of the things I was worried about and was anxious to see what it was. Pre-eclampsia is common in Triploidy pregnancies, so later, the doctor informs me that I'll need to get my blood pressure checked every week and that I should log it down onto a calendar. The minute it exceeds 130/80 I need to come into the hospital.
As I had said before, I had a great experience my first visit when I had Dr. Davis and a miserable experience with our second visit because of the woman doctor I didn't like. I was curious as to whether I would be getting a 'primary' doctor with them... the one doctor I would be seeing every time I go in, or if I would just see whoever was there and someone different every time. When the doctor came in, it was another woman, but right away I liked her. One of the first things she said was how sorry she was about our bad amnio results. She was so kind and sincere, I immediately felt like she cared and was comfortable. After going through some medical history, I had asked her if I would be getting one doctor or if I'd be seeing different ones. And she responded with the fact that herself and Dr. Davis are the ones who will oversee me, so I'll be seeing both of them throughout this pregnancy. I immediately felt so happy and relieved. That was one of my worries and I am so thankful that my doctor's now include the one I loved all along and this doctor that I already had a fondness for.  I had told her that last appointment I went completely blank and couldn't think of anything to ask, but I had brought a list of questions this time. Right away she was ushering me to get them and ask away.
This appointment I found out that according to our last ultrasound, Lyla weighs 10 oz., (common weight for a baby at this stage is 1.25 pounds). She is not expected to exceed 2.5-3 pounds even at full term, so I also won't be growing too big. Even if we make it until July, I won't be looking like I'm 9 months pregnant. I'll be on the smaller side, just like my little peanut will be! I also was informed that they will gladly give us more pictures from our ultrasounds, even previous ones that we've had. These are some of the only keepsakes we will have of her, so I was pleased to hear that they would accommodate us in that way.
A different team of neonatologists will be delivering her when the time comes and they were nice enough to set us up with an appointment to meet with them so we can be more informed of the Labor and Delivery process, as well as the things they will do for us and also so we can make are needs known to them about how we want the process to go when it's time for us to bring Lyla into the world.
All in all, I am so happy with my first official appointment as a UAB patient, as well as my 2 high risk doctors who I will be seeing for all my appointments and ultrasounds! My next appointment is scheduled for 3 weeks from now where I'll also be having a glucose test to check for gestational diabetes, as well as having our meeting with the neonatologists before the appointment.I just keep praying that God will continue to send us the right people to be included in this journey with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment