5.28.2011

First trip to the Funeral Home 05/28

I am 31 weeks now and the end is beginning to approach. I am so excited for her to be here... I just can't wait to meet her. I am very much praying for a miracle and definitely praying we get to take her home. We do however need to make sure that we're tying up lose ends and truly getting prepared for her arrival. I have got all the fun things down, like washing and organizing all of her blankets and clothes and preparing the lamb and Lyla Bunny to be packet in our bag on our way out. I have a list going of what I need to pack in the hospital bag such as clothes for myself, phone and camera chargers, paper for hand and footprints and any other thing that comes to mind to pack for the hospital.
 One thing we haven't prepared for yet is arrangements with a funeral home. It's been on my mind for awhile, as many moms on the birth board I am apart of have brought up the fact that that is something that they wish they would have done before hand, or they are very pleased with themselves for organizing that before their baby had arrived. I too, wanted to make sure there was a plan in place because I know that when the time comes to say goodbye, the last thing I am going to want to do, is call around to funeral homes asking for prices.
So, with a heavy heart, we started our first appointment at a local funeral home. The woman greeted us and sat us down with a few prices for a burial and set out a map of the cemetery for us to view. Immediately I let her know that although I very much want to bury Lyla, I also know that where we are living now, we are not going to be forever. We're planning on moving at some point and the last thing I am going to want to do is bury my daughter, then leave her. Given that, I told her we planned on cremating her and keeping her in a special urn to stay with us, until the time was right for us to bury her later. After that, she brought out the pricing... a cremation through them is $4400, but since Lyla is a baby, they were willing to give it to us for half off: $2200, gee thanks! I feel like that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. $2200 to cremate a baby girl who isn't even expected to exceed 2.5 pounds?! Obviously, we are going to look around at other places. Some of the moms I have talked with on the birth board have mentioned that many funeral homes take care of babies for free because it is such an unnatural thing and they are so tiny. Hopefully within the next week or so we will be able to find one of those special places who actually care for families who are going to be grieving their baby and not take advantage of them!

1 comment:

  1. aww hunnie I am so sorry! I hate that you are having to do this so soon but those moms are right. I would totally prefer to do it before its real than to wait until she is here. I love that you are going to cremate her and keep her with you. I agree that there is something strange about offering a discount but it still costing 2200 bucks to cremate something so tiny. Def check around because i too have heard and seen people get things done for free from funeral homes because it involved a baby. XOXO

    ReplyDelete